Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Family Crossbill Afair

This winter's invasion of White-winged Crossbill to our area possessed me to make a family excursion to Greenwood Cemetary in Grand Rapids so that all in the family could witness the spectacle. Who knows if this will ever happen again? My son Caleb (5) was excited to get out on this "treasure hunt" of an adventure. My wife, Bonnie, willingly went along with this crazy idea. We found them within 5 minutes of arriving (thank goodness!) and everyone got excellent views of several birds feeding high above our heads in a Norway Spruce. We even put Elijah (3 months) up to the scope for good measure! I'm sure he'll remember this and put White-winged Crossbill on his life list when he gets older (yeah, right!). I took the below photos to document the event.
After the 1/2 hour event we drove a short distance further to visit my Grandma to play cards. It was a fun afternoon for all!

White-winged Crossbill















Caleb points to the tree where we saw the crosbills.



















Elijah gets a look too!















Bonnie, the multi-tasker!



No comments:

Post a Comment